Thursday, November 13, 2008

America's James Bond

I'm looking forward to the new James Bond movie coming out this weekend! I wouldn't consider myself to be a huge James Bond fan but I did enjoy the last James Bond movie, Casino Royale, with Daniel Craig. His style of James Bond went over really well with me. In fact, in preparation for this weekend's premier, I rented Casino Royale again and Bethany and I watched it late one night this week.


Anyway, back in 2006 when that movie first came out, I wondered if there was anyone in our American culture that could be a somewhat similar icon, like what James Bond is to Britain. I couldn't come up with a glamourized American spy. In broadening my circle to include any decent American action figure, I somewhat settled on Indian Jones. He's no spy but he's legendary when it comes to action and he's definitely an American icon. But that opinion changed drastically with this latest Indiana Jones movie, The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. In my opinion, I think Hollywood shot us in the foot as it was a half-baked movie, barely worth the price we spent to rent it. How disappointing.


By the way, I have deeper thoughts than this usually but today, I'm focusing on issues related to the upcoming James Bond movie, so please excuse me.


But, I have recently decided that Jason Bourne from the Bourne movies could be a better fit. He hasn't been around nearly as long as James Bond. But Hollywood has developed him well so far. In fact, while I'm not necessarily wanting to pit America against England, from what I saw in the Bourne Ultimatum, I could see Jason Bourne beat the tar out of James Bond.


Can you think of someone who would fit better into the role of America's James Bond? What do you think about Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) from the Mission: Impossible series?


Or what about Kenny Balser!?! Sure, he's not as popular as Tom Cruise or Daniel Craig but I can totally see him in the role of James Bond with an American attitude! We could start a campaign. Balser for Double-0 Status! Go Kenny! Bring it!



7 comments:

Kenny said...

aawwwww yeeeaaaahhhhhhh!!
You know I would have to be first to post on this topic, Barker. I mean, anyone who knows me knows that I am faster than a speeding 3 year old with a poopy diaper, able to leap small buffet tables in a single bound, and can recall Disney movie lines at the drop of a hat. I make those two nancy boys Bond and Bourne look like sissies. Besides, super heroes always get the girl, right? Exhibit A: Checkout the damsel I caught...Cassie's hhhhhot.
Anyway, I am still waiting for the new Batmobile to show up in my driveway...memo to self: I may have to fire Alfred...

JBarker said...

Kenny, I don't think it's Alfred's fault that your Batmobile hasn't arrived. From what I heard, it was the the Batmobile engineer's 3-year-old who had a messy diaper that got all over the revised plans. The Batmobile maker took one look at them and didn't want to make a piece of crap so they had to be redrafted with the new improvements. If only you were there...

ZuTroy De Silva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ZuTroy De Silva said...

Having just watched Casino Royal myself, I have to agree with everything you said. As for who could possible be the American equal, I would have to say that Felix Lighter is about as close as we'll get. Unless they can recruit Jason Bourne into some secret agency that even the government doesn't know about! As awesome as that would be, I don't see them trying to pull it off.

Michael Sorensen said...

I'm going to descend into full geek mode here and say that Jason Bourne would be an even match against Craig's Bond. The over/under on the length of the fight would be about 1h 30m, though.

Bourne would easily beat any of the other Bonds, though (Connery would put a good fight, but I can't see a way for him to win that one.)

Big Daddy said...

My vote is for Kenny! You go bad boy. The only issue is all the women that would need to hang allover him. I think Cassie would whup on them something fierce.

Shad and Brittany said...

Now that James has lost all his wedding weight and he has the right first name, why not put in a vote for Big Daddy Stock! Jason check out our blog at shadandbrittany.blogspot.com