Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Pumpkin of My Own

With Halloween approaching, we decided to let the kids paint pumpkins this year. While American tradition holds that pumpkins are carved and cleaned out for lanterns, our kids have a hard time lasting more than 2 minutes with a pumpkin and a spoon to scoop it out with. So, to make it more enjoyable for them, we let them paint or draw anything on their own pumpkin.


Usually, I'm helping them clean out their pumpkins and carve faces while they are the observers. But this time, I was planning to take an observing role with the event for once. I walked around the table watching them paint their pumpkins. They talked about what each was painting and personafied their pumpkins, turning them into a werewolf, a princess and a bat. The conversation progressed to what each of their pumpkins was going to do to each of the others, except for Belle's whose was just sweet and harmless. They looked like they were having fun and I started to miss having a pumpkin to carve as we only bought three for the older kids.


Yesterday at work, I found myself wanting a pumpkin to carve so I stopped at the store on my way home and got one. I gutted it, carved it, and put it out on the front porch with a lit candle inside. I know it sounds weird but that was very satisfying!



4 comments:

Cassie said...

I just found your blog through Kenneth's. Looks like you guys had a fun Halloween. We always opt for the painting of pumpkins. I'm a pumpkin party pooper myself. I've always hated pumpkin guts...yuck!
Loved the "Interpretations" post...I've heard that before, but it's always funny. I'll make one small correction: Five Minutes doesn't necessarily always refer to the woman in the relationship. When Kenny and I were dating, I could always gauge how much time I had to get ready by his response to my question, "when are you coming over?" In a minute meant 15-20 min. Five minutes was 30-45 min. and "In a little while" meant I might see him sometime before the night was over.
Do you mind if I link you guys to our blog??

JBarker said...

Hey Cassie,

You're welcome to link to my blog. I didn't think anyone knew about this yet. I'm still tweaking the layout so pardon the dust for another week or so. I will probably ask the same from you guys in a little bit. Thanks!

Mindy said...

Wow, your jack-o-lantern rocks! I had no idea you were so artistic. I love your blog... thanks for the invite! Do you mind if I link your blog to mine? Actually, I already did, but I'll take it off if you object. ;)

Mindy said...

None of my kids will put their hands inside of a pumpkin to pull out the guts, but I love it! So, even though I claim to carve jack-o-lanterns for the kids, it's actually a little selfish. Maybe next year we'll paint and carve.