Today I had the first time privilege of cruising the isles of Costco in the middle of a Saturday. I missed breakfast and it looked like I was about to miss lunch. However, I found a way to get a modest lunch for free. Do you know where I'm going with this yet?
I'm sure I'm alone on this one but in the past I've usually avoided the food sampling tables and booths. I've sometimes thought that I'm obligated to consider purchasing the food item after sampling it and that I shouldn't just sample it because I'm hungry. But where it was lunch time and I missed breakfast, I mentally snubbed that thought after getting a whiff of the freshly baked cookie dough. There was too much of a crowd around that table that I couldn't get to it. But I determined to stop at the next table for a sample. That table turned out to be a cheese and spinach ravioli in tomato sauce. I was hooked! In fact, I stopped at every other sampling table and tried one of everything... except for the jalapeno bratwurst and the camembert cheese, of which I took two. Lunch consisted of a meatball in some type of teriyaki sauce, some chicken in the Panda Express orange sauce, the spinach and cheese ravioli in tomato sauce, a few bites of jalapeno bratwurst, two pieces of camembert cheese, some pecan pie and a small cherry tort dessert. Of all of the samples I had, I only purchased a 12-pack of the bratwurst, which I've had before and would have purchased regardless of the sample. Come to think of it, I only bought it the last time because I tried a sample of it then and it was delicious! It must have been destiny that I did so because, like I said at the beginning of the post, I don't usually stop and sample at the tables.
Is anyone else a fan of food samples at your favorite grocery warehouse? Long live Costco!
4 comments:
I'll admit we do taste a couple things here and there. But usually we taste something if we're there with the kids and their hungry. But Steven is a sucker for buying stuff after he's tests it.
My kids love Costco...and it's an absolute sin to go when there are not any samples out. It's the only thing that gets them through Saturday shopping with mom!
I'm a Costco sampler, too, only I hate going there on Saturdays. What were you thinking! It is a madhouse on Saturday!
nope, we hit the dumpsters after closing time, all that stuff without the crowds.
Post a Comment