Nope. I didn't assault someone in a race nor did I sabotage a marathon either. Actually, I have a couple of herniated discs and they've ruined my future days of being a famous marathon runner. Here are some of the pictures from the MRI I had. One shows a picture of my back from a side angle. You can see the two darker spots indicated are actually discs that lack the bright white center. The doctor told me they don't have much fluid in them. But it gets worse.
The next two pictures are cross sections of my back, with the spinal cord circled. The first one looks good. But when you compare it to the second one, the second one shows a herniated disc with part of it pushing against the spinal cord.
This particular condition is not very fun. I've had back pain for probably 10 years and it just seems to get worse as time goes on. Right now, there's some aching pain in my right thigh and occasionally I feel a burning feeling down the back of my left leg.
Anyway, this past 4th of July weekend, I ran 6 miles which is quite an accomplishment for me. But on that run, I tweaked my back somehow and it took about 10 weeks for the pain to go away. I explained this to the doctor and he said that running is one of the worst things I can do with my back the way it is. That sucks! I enjoyed running with some of my friends and was disappointed to have to stop. As an aside, the doctor told me that dead lifting weight and squats are some of the best ways to ruin a perfectly good disc. So to all of you weight lifters who read my blog, be careful with what you're doing at the gym.
So, I'm looking for a new recreational sport that I can do. I'm open to suggestions.



6 comments:
Well, I guess the shirt that I bought you that say's "world's best runner" will have to be returned. Take it easy old man! Love ya!
I had one of those herniated discs plucked out--I was so happy! The pain was awful, so I feel for you. You're too young to have this junk!
You know what my vote is! Biking actually helped my back (I have an old injury from cliff jumping off a waterfall as an idiot college student), but the trick is making sure your handle bars, seat and frame are all made and adjusted PERFECTLY to fit you. Otherwise, it's no good. Sorry about your back. That stinks.
Bummer! Melissa is correcto-meundo. A Dr told me once I needed back surgery. Didn't get it! I learned excellent back excersizes (Phy Therapy) and now I BIKE RIDE Pain free!! Golfing only bothers it a smidgen. Get a Hybrid bike - cross between road/mtn bike then ride the SLC marathon bike tour with me next year.
Where's the "comment" section for the doghouse video? Did you remove it so the women who flock to your blog can't ask how to send their husbands to THAT doghouse?
Dude... sorry to hear about your back! I knew a guy back in Vegas that took up swimming (which is perfect because it's no impact benefits). After a few months he had lost something like 30 lbs and looked 10 years younger... maybe something to think about.
As a side note.. if you want a custom bike I took a bike building class at CCSN and could custom fit and build you a frame. It wouldn't be ready for Christmas or anything, but it could be done.
Post a Comment