Thursday, January 8, 2009

Nostalgia vs. Caution

Isaac got a pair of rollerblades for Christmas and has been patiently waiting for an opportunity to go outside and skate around. He also got a hockey stick. With no end in sight to the snow and ice outside, I took Isaac down to the basement (which is unfinished at this time) along with my own rollerblades and hockey stick to play around a bit. As I put on my skates, a flood of memories came back from my high school days when I would go skating out in front of my house or even down to the tennis court at the church and smack the ball around. The nostalgia was completely unexpected and I became quite anxious to play a little hockey again. So I dropped the ball on the cement and started going back and forth, trying to control it with my hockey stick. It was a bit disappointing as it's been 15 years since then and I'm not nearly as graceful. But in an instant, I got the idea to try a slap shot so I stopped, spun around, brought the stick back and then beat the ball with the broadside of the blade! The exhilaration of such a shot was short-lived as a feeling of dred quickly interrupted it when I realized the ball's trajectory would end in the window well. With a quick crash, the ball sailed through the window and landed on the rocks.


Isaac salted my wounded reputation of a good hockey player by pointing out that he was going to tell Mom. (Good boy, Isaac. We've taught you well.)



 

8 comments:

K'neth S. said...

wow. that is pretty funny. nice shot!

Melissa said...

Oooooh .... I hate it when that happens.

I broke my parents' window (the bathroom in the back of the house) with a plastic baseball and bat when I was 5, and my dad was so proud he didn't replace the window for years (it was badly cracked but still intact). Good story.

Big Daddy said...

Your Kids will always throw you under the buss. When they are teenagers it changes a little and I hear that as young adults they tend to go with dad more. So hang in there. The buss incidents will be in your favor before you know it.

tnehren said...

Nice aim!

JBarker said...

It was instinctive. But I didn't score any points with my wife! I lost points there.

Crystal Erickson said...

Thanks for the great laugh! Nice shot- sorry about the window. That reminds me of when you chased me down the hall and put your hand through the bathroom door. Ahhh memories:)

Cassie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cassie said...

Sorry...I left the last comment, but I must have been half asleep as I wrote it, cause it made no sense (therefore, I deleted it.)
What I was going to say was...
I am laughing...probably because it was you and your window. If it were my window and my boys (Kenny included) it probably would not have been quite so humorous!