Friday, January 23, 2009

25th Anniversary of the Original


Twenty-five years ago from Saturday, Apple introduced the world to a revolutionary line of computers. The original Macintosh encased the monitor, CPU and hard drive together and sported a boxy mouse and keyboard. At the time, the computer was impressive and we had so much fun with ours.


Way back then, I remember my dad talking about a new computer that was coming out. A neighbor across the street sold Apple computers and had found a listening ear when he talked to my dad about it. Dad bought one and set it up. It was amazing! We had some really "cool" programs like MacDraw and MacPaint. Later on, we even got this game called Dark Castle. Anyway, it was fun to use. I even tried to learn BASIC programming on it but that never panned out because the animation and drawing functions I was using for the space game I wanted to program were too slow for what I wanted to do.


Over the years, I've been very loyal to the the Apple brand. I've definitely taken more than my fair share of shots at Microsoft and Windows. I never really liked that operating system. I even got burned once for using it in one of my college classes because the C compiler on Windows didn't compile ANSI C code the same as it did on my Mac and it was supposed to! I lost a whole letter grade because of it. So, you could say that because I used Windows, I got a lower grade in my class. Curses!


This next part is not for the faint of heart. Brace yourself!


<RANT>I don't understand how people can choose to use Windows. It's a lousy excuse for an OS. It's buggy. It crashes. It has a registry for applications. The current "improved" OS (Vista) is worse than its predecesor, XP. The window blurring effect in Vista sucks. The window redrawing in XP leaves a trail of window frames as you drag a window around. Vista requires an enormous amount of memory. It's not Unix based. It's not user-friendly. It doesn't come with iPhoto or iMovie out of the box. Did I mention that the whole OS is ugly? Font rendering is awful (it's pixelated). What's the deal with Internet Explorer 6/7? Apparently, a bunch of people have written guides to instruct you on how to uninstall IE7 (that's a good sign for any software... NOT! Why can't you just throw the application in the garbage!?!) Windows also hides the contents of folders. It installs updates without asking you first. Honestly, why do people put up with it? Because it's cheap?</RANT>


Anyway, for me, Apple is a great company in that they masterfully bring innovation and creativity to the field of technology. They make great products. I hope the next 25 years are even better for them. Forza Apple!



8 comments:

K'neth S. said...

Wow. talk about a dinosaur. I remember my dads old windows '98 computer. My dad HATES Mac or apple. he HATES THEM!!!!! i like them though. but i also like windows. I like them both. they both have their advantages.

Crystal Erickson said...

I laugh, because I have fond memories of playing on the old mac's! What a fun diversion they were from boring school work:) Thanks for the memory flash back:)

Mindy said...

Sheesh! How do you really feel? :) I guess I don't really know enough to love or hate either. Ignorance is bliss!

Wendy said...

Dark Castle! that is the perfect example of why MAC in not accepted by everybody. MAC never was the gaming platform that Windows allows. Heck the old 2600 atari is more exciting then any MAC game was. As far as Windows being cheap, well yes people like cheap, means they can actually afford to buy it. I remember my best friends dad spending big bucks for a MAC that could basically only do essays....Boring!!! As far as the trouble with the platforms, in Windows what better way to keep people employed then creating job security with IT help desks. It also allowed APPLE to have some funny commercials with the whole PC vs MAC.
The bottom line is my PC did great things..... until it crashed....MacBook user since. Go APPLE!!!!

Wendy said...

Jason that other comment we sent was from Steven!!!! Love - Wendy

Big Daddy said...

I don't Hate the Mac. I am just a cheapskate. When Mac becomes affordable for this poor working class boy I will be the first one on board. For now I make do. Kind of like my car. I wish I could have the best but I settle because the best costs to much. I hate vista and will never load it and I use Mozilla Firefox instead of IE. Viva la Mac!

Cassie said...

Mac...isn't that the celestial kingdom of computers. It's what I'm working towards anyhow! I'm with James though...gotta save up my pennies!

Carol Swift said...

I was visiting Crystal's blog (I just love her, by the way) and somehow found my way here. My, my, a little anti Windows, huh! I use
Windows because that's what my employer uses, I can afford it, and I'm okay with it. Please don't hate me for it--maybe someday I'll leave the dark side and come into the light of Apple. My parents bought one of those first Apple computers and it cost them a couple thousand dollars, which was a lot of money in the olden days. I think I'm going to have to "follow" your blog as it looks rather interesting. --from a LV stalker :o)