Saturday, July 4, 2009

Three plus three equals six!

That's today's math lesson.


If you run out three miles away from home, you have to come back those three miles. On Saturday, that's what I did. I ran six miles in 72 minutes (and 3 seconds). I averaged a 12-minute mile which is not fast at all, but, nonetheless, I did it! There is one part of the run that includes a steep incline and I had to walk that part after the first 20 yards of it just about drained all of my energy. On other shorter runs without going up a steep hill, I have averaged between 10.5 to 11.5 minutes per mile.


It all started with my wife getting up early to run with her friends. Her alarm would go off well before mine. I could rarely fall back to sleep even though I gave it my best efforts. This went on for months, through the fall, the winter, and even in to spring. She ran the Salt Lake City half marathon and did great! The next day at church, a lot of people were talking about it enthusiasticaly and I took notice of it. The buzz about the marathon made me reflect on my personal health and I began to think that neglecting it could one day end in a sad realization. For me, that kicked off some serious thoughts about what I was doing [wrong] and what improvements needed to be made.


I have been running for eight weeks and have come a long way. My first attempt at running ended just short of half a mile (out by the fire department) and I was utterly stunned that I couldn't keep up with the rest of the guys in the group. I walked for a ways and tried running every 150 feet or so but I couldn't run for much after that. It was a long mile and a half.


Never in my life have I thought I would run more than a few miles at a time. But to say that I can run six miles without stopping is so satisfying and feels like such an achievement. My goal is to be able to run 13.1 miles with Bethany next year for the Salt Lake City half marathon.


And since you are reading this, I'm inviting you to run the half marathon too, unless you want to do the full marathon! We can even have a friendly competition to see who's time is faster. Let's say the slowest buys the fastest dinner.


John, Ben and Megan, you're not eligible for this friendly competition 'cause I already know you'll kick my trash!



12 comments:

Shad and Brittany said...

Nice work! It has been fun to run together. I am up for the challenge of the SL Half Marathon but I think we should preface that race with the Spanish Fork Half in September. You know you want to...

Ron said...

WTG Jason! Personally, I don't enjoy running, but glad for those who can. My bike is easier on my joints. Ha.
PS I can't locate that book, Patriots- the men who started the American Revolution.. Do I have the title correct??

JBarker said...

Ron, I've got a link to that book on Amazon: Patriots: The Men Who Started the American Revolution.

Carol Swift said...

I have a treadmill stress test in 10 days--I'm in big trouble because I haven't been exercising to prepare for it. Now I feel challenged to do something after reading your blog. Gee thanks! I hate feeling challenged!

K'neth S. said...

I like to run. that is great. 6 miles. thats the problem with running outside. if you get somewhere, then you've got to come back. nice work. its amazing to see people accomplish things.

Mindy said...

Wow! Good for you! You won't see me in the half marathon, but I'm doing a 5K in August and it was Bethany who motivated me to start running again, too.

Ron said...

thanks for info on the book, Amazon.com carries it. I was looking in Barnes & Noble...
Keep on running, as for me, I did 32 mile bike ride sat, hills and all, thru Hurricane around Sandhallow Resevior :)

~Jewel said...

congrats! running is one of those things that i would love to do, but, like you, the first attempt is so shameful that I give up for at least a year before trying again. Kudos to you for staying with it!

Meg said...

That's awesome!! Seriously. You look like you have lost weight!? Do you care that I wrote that? Guess it doesn't matter now. Sorry. You look good, that's what I'm trying to say. Anyways keep up the good work! You are half way there!! Your kicking me out of the competition? Rude. :)

Melissa said...

That's awesome Jason! Good for you! I don't think I could ever do it. I'm totally impressed! Dave's thinking about the Spanish Fork Half in September I know. He thought I'd run it with him just because I signed him up for a 111-mile bike ride while he was at work! That's cute Dave! I'm glad you guys are all running together. It's good for ya!

Big Daddy said...

Its a good thing your not a big fat guy or that would be realy difficult. Congratulations. I need to do more cardio myself. Just hate the trip back home.

Crystal Erickson said...

Wow! You are sooo awesome. I miss running, but how things are now, the only way is to have all my kids run with me...I don't think so! Well let us know how your trip went! Love ya!