Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cub Scout Day Camp Here I Come!

So a few weeks ago, I saw my son's name on a list for not having paid his day camp fee yet. And then it dawned on me that Isaac is growing up and will soon be in cub scouts! I am thrilled about it because I had a ton of fun in cub scouts and later in boy scouts. What's more is that I get to go to cub scout day camp with him! I'm really, really, REALLY excited.


I remember a handful of activities from when I was younger. We made bunsen burners out of #10 cans, tuna fish cans, cardboard strips and wax. We tried tofu which sucked but the friends I was with and also myself made fun of it. We came up with better uses for that stuff. We learned the song, "I love bananas, coconuts and grapes!" there was the ever-popular egg drop contest where you had to package up a raw egg somehow so that it could be successfully launched high into the air and land without breaking. I was successful with that every year! Being in Las Vegas for it, we learned about desert plants, especially cacti which could provide water or be eaten. We played games, ate a ton of fruit, learned a lot about making stuff and earned beads for completing a variety of projects and activities.


So, I can't wait for my boys to have this experience. And this year, I'll get to go with Isaac and watch him do these things. I hope he enjoys it as much as I did!


8 comments:

K'neth S. said...

I liked scouts. I remember my scout leaders were weird though. Troy just started scouts yesterday. he is the last one to go.

Mindy said...

Isn't it fun to share things with your kids that you enjoyed as a child?

I used to be the program director at Cub Scout Day Camp and those boys were so cute and they loved every minute of it. It was fun to work with them because they were so enthusiastic and easy to please.

My 7-year-old has been asking for a few years when he gets to go to Cub Scouts because his sister is in Girl Scouts and he feels left out. Not much longer!

Cassie said...

Kenny and I have both gone to day camp with Jackson. I went when he was a wolf. Kenny went when he was a bear. They (the leaders) do a great job with the day camps. Jackson had a ton of fun! He loved the archery and bb guns...and I was glad they were doing those activities far away from my house!! I'm sure Isaac will love it (and by the sounds of it, dad will have a great time too!)

Carol Swift said...

I wasn't really fond of Boy Scouts, sorry. Thank goodness Ron was into it enough to help Jason or he would never have made to the Eagle Scout level. I think it's called "Boy" Scouts for a reason. :o)

Big Daddy said...

If you are going to day camp this year keep an eye on Troy for me, that way I can get out of it. I know I am a bad father. Just having been there and done that for 7 years wears you out.

Melissa said...

I've got you all signed up and ready to go! I'm glad your excited. I went a few years ago and it was fun. Bruce Harmon and I ended up on opposing teams for a rafting adventure with the boys in this little "pond." If I remember right, I think I rocked at that, but I can't really remember ... The boys seemed to have a good time, and the leaders didn't do too bad either.

Crystal Erickson said...

Sounds like so much fun. I am sure you both will have a blast. Be safe and we can't wait to hear all of the details.

Ron said...

All I remember about Cub Scouts are the visits to Nellis AFB and eating good cookies at my Den Mother's house. My mom still has contact with her & they're both 80 plus.