Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas Tag

So I wandered around a few blogs of some friends last night and came across one that tagged all of the readers of the blog. What a cool idea! So I'm doing the same thing! If you're reading this, consider yourself tagged.


1. Wrapping paper or gift bags
Wrapping paper, definitely! I love wrapping presents in beautiful paper and decorative ribbons. It makes the gift look a bit more special.

2. Real tree or artificial?
Real tree... and I prefer it be FLOCKED! Christmas in Las Vegas was mildly cold and brown. I love the snow and having a bit of white on the tree reminds me of the few trips we made to Utah to visit grandparents during Christmas, which, for me, were the best Christmases of my childhood.

3. When do you put up the tree?
Usually within a couple of weeks after Thanksgiving

4. When do you take the tree down?
Sometime during the week after New Year's Day

5. Do you like eggnog?
ABSOLUTELY! Straight is great but I prefer to mix it with a bit of milk.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
That's a toss up between a set of little 4x4 trucks with a styrofoam mountainous track or the set of laser tag guns and sensors.

7. Hardest person to buy for?
My parents. They don't really want much. They seem pretty content with what they've got.

8. Easiest person to buy for?
My boys. Wii games will always be a hit!

9. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes. We have several. And they ALL go up around the house at Christmas!

10. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?
Mail. It's more enjoyable to be able to put them up in the living room.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
COAL! Just kidding. I can't think of one that was really bad.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Another toss up. I'd say Santa Claus "The Movie", A Christmas Story, and Home Alone.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
After Thanksgiving, but rarely on Black Friday

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Not that I can remember

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Cheeseball and crackers!

16. Favorite Christmas tradition?
Listening to my father-in-law narrate the Christmas story. He has some light Christmas music that plays in the background and it really sets a good tone for the evening.

17. Favorite Christmas song?
I like so many of them that I couldn't name just one.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home?
Stay at home. We get the house all decorated and warm and it's nice to be there for the actual day of celebration.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's?
There are the nine traditional reindeer, and a tenth if you include Olive, the other reindeer!

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
When I was younger, I received a paper mache angel that we occasionally put at the top of the tree. But I'm fine with a star as well.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas morning.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
It doesn't last long enough!

23. Favorite for Christmas dinner?
While I don't think I have ONE favorite thing, I happen to like some non-traditional items for Christmas dinner (in addition to the traditional), like black and green olives and deviled eggs.

24. What do you want for Christmas this year?
World peace! ;D -- If I can't have that, I'd settle with for a great day with my family and some snow!

25. How many days left until Christmas?
18 and counting!


I'm interested in your answers so put a comment on my blog so I know to go look! Thanks and Merry Christmas!



9 comments:

Jennifer said...

That was so fun!

Wendy said...

I did it too! It was fun!!!! Love ya!!!

tnehren said...

Wrapping paper or gift bags
Wrapping paper, and preferably something unique. My brother once wrapped all his presents for the family one year entirely in duct tape.

Real tree or artificial
I prefer the real tree, but right now we have the fake one. I love the smell of the real tree, especially when you suck up the needles with the vacuum. But the last thing we need is our 10-month old crawling into the family room and eating sap, bark, and pine needles for breakfast.

When do you put up the tree?
The Saturday after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, my wife normally breaks down and plays Christmas music well before then.

When do you take the tree down?
The Saturday after New Years. But the Christmas spirit lives on since I normally don't get a chance to climb onto my steep, snow-covered roof and remove the Christmas lights until May.

Do you like eggnog?
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Favorite gift received as a child?
A Seattle Seahawks football helmet. But it was too small for my big head so we had to take it back the next day. I never got another one, and it remains the elusive gift I never really had. Maybe that's why I like it, the same mentality that you always want what you can't have.

Hardest person to buy for?
Grandparents.

Easiest person to buy for?
Myself.

Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes. And the ears and legs of the sheep and donkeys are slowly starting to disappear.

Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?
Go digital. Make your own card and blast it out to your friends and family. Cards actually tend to live longer online than they do in print.

Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
I got a pack of pens from a coworker. Seriously, how many minutes raiding the supplies closet did it take for him to pull that one off? He was later fired for stealing supplies from the company. Seriously.

Favorite Christmas Movie?
National Lampoons, Christmas Vacation

When do you start shopping for Christmas?
The question should instead be "When do I have my wife go out and do all the shopping for me?"

Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
I had a roommate in college who was a Navajo indian, and he taught me the perfected art of Indian giving.

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Cinnamon-roasted almonds with hot cocoa

Favorite Christmas tradition?
How quickly the reenactment of the nativity in our home turns into a comedic performance

Favorite Christmas song?
Still, Still, Still (the German version)

Travel at Christmas or stay at home?
Stay home

Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's?
I have to sing the song in my head first, but yes. I can.

Angel on the tree top or a star?
Angel

Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
I held strong for five years, but this year my wife talked me into letting the kids open one present on Christmas Eve.

Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
The icicle lights for the outside of my house work when I take them down. Then when I put them back up the following year, none of them work. Are there lightbulb-eating Gremlins in my basement. Someone really should look into this.

Favorite for Christmas dinner?
It's Christmas Eve dinner that I really look forward to. My Oma's birthday is Christmas Eve, so the family would all gather at their house and have her favorite meal on her birthday: Chinese food. I went to great lengths to keep the tradition alive when I lived in Germany for two years.

What do you want for Christmas this year?
A day in the mountains with my snowboard. I mean really, isn't that what this time of year is really all about? Doing something you truly love and leaving your wife behind to take care of kids while you go hit some rails and kickers at Brighton?

How many days left until Christmas?
13

Cassie said...

Did it!

Big Daddy said...

Boycotted it. I decided that tags were not for me. Kind of like Christmas lights.

Mindy said...

Just saw your beautiful tree... nice job!!!

Big Daddy said...

You know the whole idea of a blog is to post once in a while.

JBarker said...

Big Daddy - You know the whole idea of being tagged is to post some information about yourself related to the tag, not to publicly snub it!

JBarker said...

BigDaddy, I'll say it for you... Touché! :)