Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Name of This Blog

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet."
- Juliet Capulet, Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

So I showed my wife what I had started to do online with this blog hoping for her approval (not that I necessarily needed it but it's always nice to not distress your spouse). But I quickly underwent a barrage of ridicule for the name I had chosen. I tried to defend it but she had already made up her mind and was unabashedly snickering at it, dismissing my explanation. I thought about changing it again but it had taken me a bit of time to come up with this so I've decided to stick with it for now.


The gist of it is simply this: I wanted a blog title that would underscore the fact that the topics of my posts would be completely random (like most blogs) and not necessarily dedicated to a bunch of Mac propaganda, religious assertions or Italian recipes. So with that in mind, I settled on the word random but added a suffix to make it like an element from the periodic table. (By the way, I like science.) The resulting name was Randomonium.


If you think the name is too absurd, you can do one of two things: either take a piece of masking tape and put it over the name of the blog on your computer screen or post your opinion about it.


Update: November 6, 2008 - I've rethought the name and have gone with what it currently is. Enjoy!



2 comments:

K'neth S. said...

I really like the name! It is kind of like a super hero slash nick name title. It adds randomness like you said and it adds uniqueness. i think it is amazing!!! And blogs are a lot of fun. I love having mine. I really like reading what people have to say about what i write. I think the comments are one of the best parts. I think the "Barkermeister" is awesome!!!

Big Daddy said...

I'm with Bethany on the funny part but I love it.