Monday, January 25, 2010

My First iPhone Application


Have you missed me? That's a rhetorical question. :)


I have been very busy finishing development of my first iPhone application. It's called GoalMan. It's not a sexist or chauvinistic app only for men. It's actually a shorter name for "Goal Management". I have been kicking this idea around for quite some time, working on parts of it since about September 2008. No, I did not work on it straight through although I did spend some time redoing portions of it as I became familiar with better ways of programming parts of it. If I had to sit down and do it from scratch, I could probably complete it in about 2 months working on it full time. This is a milestone for me in that I actually have my own software product in the marketplace ... and it's doing quite well. I released the app on Christmas Eve hoping to get it in the store before the new year's resolutions buzz caught hold of people. And, as of about 10:00 PM on New Year's Eve, it was ranked as the number one application for setting and tracking goals! That lasted until about January 14 or so when it dropped to number two. It's been there ever since. Additionally, it's fluctuated between #2 and #5 for new years resolutions, typically being beat only by free apps.


I've only had a few minor bugs reported which is a relief! Also, I've had a decent amount of email from those who have purchased it saying how much they enjoy it and have given me some ideas of features that I might want to add to it.


One of the coolest things about this whole process is the fact that I've sold copies of my app to people all over the world. Each day at about 4:00 AM, I can access a report that tells me how many copies of my app have been purchased and downloaded and from which countries those purchases have come. People in Japan, England, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Italy, France, Mexico, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and several other countries have purchased GoalMan and are using it. It has made the world feel a bit smaller to me.


Anyway, that's what I've been doing. You can get a little more information about the app at a website I created at: www.goalman4iphone.com. Also, if you have any ideas for an iPhone app, especially an idea that isn't currently available in an iPhone application, feel free to let me know about it. I'm looking for a new project. (But don't tell my wife about that part. Ha ha! - Just kidding Honey. I love you!)

4 comments:

K'neth S. said...

cool, my dad told me about it. that is amazing.

Ron said...

Way to go, Barkermeister! You computer techies amaze me. How about an app that helps you how to play a better round of golf?
And yes, I missed you on here.

Big Daddy said...

Nice!!

When I get my IPOD touch that will be the first application I load on it.

Carol Swift said...

I downloaded it when your proud mom posted it on Facebook. It's nice to know someone who's creative AND famous like you! :O)